Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Chicken Cacciatore à la Kim

My dad would make the most delicious Chicken Cacciatore. I don't think he ever really had a recipe for it, he would just see what we had and worked with it!

And that is exactly what I did yesterday. Pen and paper in hand, to write down my ingredients, I was ready to experiment.

After 1 hour, the house started to smell amazing, I knew it was ready and I was so excited to see what Jon thought.

I was making a "big" portion of this chicken cacciatore because I thought it would be great to see it last a little while. So I threw in 7 chicken legs and 1 chicken breast, thinking to myself "we're going to be eating this for dinner again tomorrow!!"

I was SO wrong. Jon managed to eat 4 chicken legs and 1/2 chicken breast (along with all the veggies and 2 1/2 cups of brown rice on his plate) and I ate 1 chicken leg.

My goodness... there were only 2 chicken legs left and they were going in his lunch today. The pot was empty by 7:00pm.. I couldn't believe it! But this dish was a WINNER!

We ate earlier than usual yesterday because Jon had to fast after 9:00pm for tomorrows TBS blood tests. He was starving this morning! Because we were off schedule, I completely forgot to take a picture of this AMAZING dish!! So I borrowed one that looked most like it from the Internet.

You have GOT to try this recipe. It is so delicious and great for big families... or in our case little families that eat a lot! And it is probably the easiest recipe you will ever make.

Here we go, I hope you enjoy it! Please give it a try.

Chicken Cacciatore

What you will need:

  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 chicken breast, cubed
  • 7 chicken legs, whole
  • 1 tbsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
  • 1 (794g) can crushed tomatoes (I have a BJ's can.. so make sure to read the grams on the can)
  • 2 (411g) cans diced tomatoes
  • 5 celery stalks, chopped

  1. Drizzle olive oil in bottom of a large pot with a cover, when hot, add onions and garlic. Allow onions and garlic to cook and caramelize.
  2. Add chicken breast and chicken legs and brown the meat.
  3. Add the crushed tomatoes (1 can), diced tomatoes (2 cans), chicken broth, spices and celery.
  4. Bring everything to a bowl and reduce to medium (4-6). Allow to simmer for 1 hour.
  5. Serve over rice or pasta.



I LOVE this recipe, and I think you will too!

The picture above is taken from the Internet because I forgot all about taking one last night- it just smelt too good, we couldn't wait to dig in! haha! I will snap a picture next time I make it. We made ours with chicken legs and celery- so it will look a little different than the one above, but I still wanted to give you an idea.

Let me know what you think!

Make healthy choices everyone! Have a great Wednesday.

- Kimmie

No comments:

Post a Comment