Thursday, October 6, 2011

Really Healthy Pumpkin Muffins

To all the ladies out there who think that cutting their mans hair could be fun and economical... think again. Unless you've gone to beauty school and have done your practice hours, I highly suggest you stay far away from doing the job.

And unfortunately, I say this from experience.

It seemed easy- make the short hair a little shorter! Wrong. The world of tapered necklines, finishing lines and fades was unfamiliar to me, and that is an understatement.

So Jon needed a haircut, how hard could it be? We went into our guest bathroom and pulled out a home razor kit with all the attachments. I placed them all out and put the smock around Jon's neck. "Cool", I said out loud, "I'm a hairdresser!"...That was the first problem.. "barber, Kim, a barber".

So, it didn't seem so bad at first, we made it all the way up to the top of his ear without causing any major damage. Then Jon says "Ok, now you have to fade the line in".. "You want me to do what?". And that's when things started going really bad. The fading job looked like a lawn cut with a weedwacker by a five year old. It was terrible.

"I can't go out in public like this Kim!"
"Oh my goodness Jonnnn, I'm sorry! What do we do!"
"I don't know Kim!"
"Well, we have to go get it fixed"

And so, there we were, walking into "Annie's barbershop".

The nice lady smiled and to my surprise she said I did a pretty good job, just needed some work on the fading... and maybe 200 hours of practice. She also said military cuts are one of the hardest to do! ...maybe I should just stick to food.

This story does end well- she fixed it all up and Jon looks great now!

Moral of the story: Don't cut your husbands hair if you're a dietitian!





We are off to Ocean Park, Maine for the Canadian Thanksgiving/ American Columbus day! I was craving pumpkin this week and so I decided to create some really really healthy pumpkin spice muffins to bring to the beach! They are not nearly as sweet as commercial muffins but they make great pre workout or mid morning snacks.

Healthy Pumpkin Muffins

Dry ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp brown sugar (only 2 tbsp of sugar!)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Wet ingredients:
1/2 can pumpkin
2 tbsp canola oil (only 2 tbsp of canola oil which is packed with good fat!!)
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Filling options
- Apple butter (A mix of apple, cider and cinnamon)
- 60% cocoa dark chocolate chips

1. Pre heat oven to 400 degrees
2. Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine wet ingredients.
3. Pour wet mix into dry mix and stir just until moistened.
4. Spray muffin tins or line with paper.
For apple butter filling: 
Fill half the muffin sheet with batter, spoon in about 1 tbsp of apple butter and fill the rest up with batter
For chocolate chip filling:
Add 1/4 to 1/2 of a cup of chocolate chips to batter and spoon into muffin sheet as usual
5. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until golden.
Enjoy!!

The one in the center is apple butter, the two others are dark chocolate chip!


Let me know what you think if you get a chance to try these yummy muffins!

Make healthy choices!
- Kimmie

No comments:

Post a Comment